A Brief History of North Westminster Presbyterian Church
Westminster Presbyterian Church was founded November 29, 1916. The congregation met in a tent on the property until the first church was completed in June 1917. Advent House was established in 1988 and acts as a weekend day shelter, has a Life Skills curriculum, transitional housing program, recreation and learning activities for children and families.
North Presbyterian Church was organized in November 1863 and remained at that same location until May 2010 when the North building was sold and the church was relocated to Westminster. North was always deeply involved in the community, making it a vital part of Old Town.
On Pentecost Sunday in May of 2010, the two churches joined together as North Westminster as the two congregations processed the wooden cross from North to Westminster Church. On June 12, 2012, the North Westminster joyfully celebrated their full merger by hosting the Lake Michigan Presbytery meeting. Ecumenical Worship Services under Advent House Fellowship was formally organized in 2013 and was granted funding for a Chaplain position to facilitate a 1001 New Worshiping Communities initiative by PCUSA.
We have many ongoing cooperative ministries with Lansing Christian Services through a Personal Needs Closet, which has operated for over 30 years. We support U-Kirk Campus Ministry with Lansing Cluster Churches. Our Community Outreach events include Vacation Bible School, Fall Fest, and Easter Craft Day. We have many special music programs, which include Easter Cantata and special Christmas music. We offer Music Scholarships to College Students who are selected to partner with us in our music ministries. Our building and property are available to outside groups such as NA, Young Marines, Christian Liberty Fellowship, and many other nonprofit organizations.
North Westminster & Advent House under one roof welcomes all people to the open communion, inclusive membership, and equal opportunity to lead and affirm ordination without any discrimination.